To get the most out of a hiring process, it is should be efficient, accurate and fair. At Select International, our experience working with both large and small companies has led us to a four-step hiring funnel that can help any company find the right hires - quickly and fairly.
Step 1: APPLICATION
- Use an automated application tool.
- Build screen-out questions into this tool and ask for the information you want.
- The system will automatically determine who passes and fails this stage and can even have candidates automatically schedule themselves for the next phase.
Step 2: SCREENING
- The application stage provides information about experience and technical knowledge or skills.
- However, there are some interpersonal competencies that are also important to have in a good worker, such as work ethic and teamwork.
- There are some short assessments available that can easily screen out the candidates who do not have acceptable levels of these competencies.
Step 3: ASSESSMENT
- Candidates who have made it through the previous stages of the hiring process have the potential to have what it takes to make a great employee.
- Give an in-depth competency-based assessment to these individuals to see who rises to the top.
Step 4: INTERVIEW
- Until this point, most, if not all, of the hiring process has happened without human contact. Now, HR resources can spend their time interviewing the best of the candidate pool. I can’t tell you how many clients have told us the number of wasted hours they have spent interviewing clearly unqualified individuals.
- Be sure to receive training on the use structured behavioral interviewing questions to maximize your accuracy at this stage of the process.
Remember to ensure that any decision-making criteria used in the process are job-related and documented. Treat every candidate equally, and they ALL must follow the exact same process and be held to the same standards. If you follow this four-step process, you’ll maximize your company’s workforce while minimizing your effort and legal risk.