HEALTHCARE HIRING PERSPECTIVES BLOG

Survey Reveals Four Weaknesses in Healthcare HR Strategies

Posted by  Bryan Warren

healthcare-hiring.jpgWe recently sponsored the People in Healthcare Conference put on by the Talent Management Alliance. The event brought 200 healthcare HR senior leaders to Houston to discuss topics including how healthcare reform is changing the approach of HR, recruiting technology solutions, physician leadership, contingent workforces and assessing talent.

Our own Ted Kinney, Ph.D., head of our healthcare consulting group joined Lisa Zankman, SVP of Human Resources for Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to present -- Human Resources and Lean: Talent Strategies to Support a High Performance Culture.

We were able to survey attendees about their talent strategies:

1. 63% of HR leaders feel their patient satisfaction-based training programs are either NOT EFFECTIVE or only SOMEWHAT EFFECTIVE at changing behaviors.

With all the focus HCAHPS scores, and the money being spent on training programs, this is disconcerting. At Select, we’ve developed a new tool and program, the Select C.A.R.E. Assessment and Workshop which bases training on individual behavioral traits (including healthcare –specific EQ) which impact patient and colleague interactions, and help staff to modify their behaviors.

2. Only 38% report that their organization is at least EFFECTIVE at using behavioral competencies as a foundation for HR functions.

This is a common finding with our healthcare clients. They have, at best, a disjointed competency model making it impossible to be efficient or fully effective in selecting, evaluating and developing talent. See our white paper, Developing a Hospital-Wide Competency Model.

3. Similarly, only 38% say they are at least EFFECTIVE as using structured, behavioral interviewing – leaving 62% reporting a lack of confidence in their interviewing process.

A structured, behavioral interview is the foundation of a selection system. Research shows that unstructured interviews have almost no predictive value. Some hospitals admit that they have NO formal process in place! This is a substantial waste of resources and significantly increases legal risk in the hiring process. In response, we’ve developed our efficient, award-winning Select Interviewing Online tool.

4. Only 41% use pre-employment behavioral testing in the hiring process.

Hospitals have been looking to other industries for solutions like LEAN and supply chain technology, but are still slow to adopt more progressive talent strategies. Surveys routinely show that as many as 75% of leading companies in other industries take advantage of the science of selection by using valid pre-employment assessments. The use is on the rise, but this is still drastically behind what would be considered a benchmark practice.

Top Children's Hospital Changes its Culture While Improving Key HR Metrics

Tags:   healthcare hiring, Talent Strategy

Bryan Warren

Bryan is the former Director of Healthcare Solutions at Select International. He was responsible for developing and promoting tools and services designed specifically for the unique challenges faced by healthcare organizations.

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Four Hospitals Save $1.3 Million by Cutting Service Worker Turnover in Half